NISCE chess club meets after school every Monday from 3:30-4:30 pm. All levels are welcome from beginner to advance. Students are learning chess notation, chess strategies, tactics, openings, mid-game, endings, and more!
What is the Advantages of Chess?
- Chess teaches critical thinking.
- Chess teaches that there are consequences for your actions.
- Chess teaches that one can to learn from their mistakes.
- Chess teaches to not act rash; it builds patience.
- Chess teaches strategic future planning.
- Chess is a great tool for cognitive development.
- Chess provokes the mastery of pattern recognition.
- Chess teaches principles of geometry (such as translation, reflection, symmetry, isometry in piece movement and spatial recognition).
No wonder more and more schools world-wide are forming chess clubs!
Pictured: Students from the 2016-2017 Chess Club
Here are some videos on the current tactics that chess club members are learning:
- The Double Attack
- Removing the Defender
- The Overworked Piece
- The Pin
- The Discovered Attack
- Double Check
Chess Notation reference guide:
Pictures from our last Tournament
NISCE vs. FBCA in Rosamond, IL – Friday March 2nd 2018